Teaching Philosophy

I feel successful when I teach people:

- to see what they look at!

- that it is ok to be different!

- to open a whole new world of creativity for them....

- that there is a solution for every problem (mostly with a quick-unpick!)

- that it is a joy to be creative......


The Creative Mind Plays with the Object it Loves -
Carl Jung














Friday 22 June 2012

Changing the Pace...

I've missed chatting to you...   Willem and I enjoyed a 3 1/2 week holiday on a road trip to Namibia and are safely back home after driving 7 272 km.....   I wrote a journal while travelling and am thinking of adding a page to this blog about the trip...    As you know, most of my inspiration comes from nature and I took so many photographs of trees, rocks, landscapes, old buildings, lights, old furniture and animals...    A lot of it might be inspirational for fellow quilters, let me know what you think ....  We saw beautiful carved pieces of furniture, ideal for applique patterns, lots of interesting painted walls with all sorts of stenciling....     You can find me on facebook under Marilyn Stevens Pretorius....

Back to my story - after the 2006 National Quilt Festival in Port Elizabeth, I was emotionally and physically exhausted.   Making the majority of my quilts are really such an intensive process of concentration and  labour which while in the process, would consume most of my time, thoughts and energy.    I have no pattern books to refer to and have to find my own way, very exhausting...    I felt that I needed something easy to stitch which would be ideal to unwind.....  I decided to handsew a quilt using a Japannese Folded method.    Using this method, the quilt would be quilted by the time it was sewn together - just what I needed.  I decided to make a quilt for my friend for her next birthday.   Planning this quilt was so easy and uncomplicated, just what I needed.   

While making this quilt, something else happened....    I experienced a terrible pain down my one leg and eventually was diagnosed with a prolapsed disc in my spine, a condition which had a severe negative impact on my mobility and quality of life.    In the meantime, I quietly sat and stitched this quilt, not being able to do anything strenuous as it immediately brought pack the terrible pain.    I finished the quilt in time for her birthday in March 2007 and I was so surprized at  how much I actually enjoyed hand stitching this scrappy quilt......   Yes, me who are so in love with a sewing machine.....

My friendship with Amanda started early 1982, we had babies together, shared tears, laughs, losing parents and survived the phase of difficult teenagers...!    The two of us share a very special bond and the friendship has always been very harmonious, open, honest and easy - so referring to the our friendship, I named the quilt Harmonie (Harmony)!
    
Harmonie 2007 




Towards the end of 2007, it was clear I needed a spinal fusion.   I would be in a corset for 3 months, no sitting, driving my car or going anywhere in a vehicle.   I could lie down, walk and stand.   Wonderful recipe for cabin fever....    I immediately realized that I had to prepare some hand work to do afterwards....    Being productive, time would pass quickly....


I decided to make a quilt for our guest room in greens, teal and purple using the Folded Japanese method.    I wanted to make a quilt with triangles and decided to join 4 squares in a four patch, then fold it over batting in a diamond shape which will have the effect of a block with 4 triangles....    I prepared most of the blocks before going to hospital and packed a small trolley in our bedroom with enough work to keep me busy for the first days back at home...    I was ready to keep myself busy with books, music, tv and some quilting.....    I got a pair of reading glasses as it is very difficult to read flat on the back with bifocal lenses.....


Soon I was home, pain free and doing some stitching,  flat on my back....   My stitches were not great, but I was not perturbed..    I was sewing and excited about my project.    Soon I was stronger and Willem moved the trolley back to the studio where I could stand at the worktable because the height is perfect for me.     Soon it became routine, I would be in the studio with all my quilting stuff around me early in the mornings, taking breaks to rest a bit and my daily walk in the afternoons.    Soon the 195 blocks were stitched, quilted and ready to be joined into a quilt.   It took almost a week to arrange the blocks in a colourwash formation.   I pinned the rows together in long strips using safety  pins.    It was such a sense of achievement to make this quilt, mostly standing.     I should have called it "Standing Up" but named it Happy Colours for Me as it truly is my happy colours.   The 3 months went by so quickly...


Happy Colours for Me - 2008

While I was making this quilt, I  had lots of time to think about my quilting...........

1 comment:

  1. It is a stunning quilt Marilyn, and a special one at that.

    ReplyDelete